Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rewind and observe


How many of the things we do in our lives are sort of -- by prescription -- like, that's what people do.

That's what you do.
So that's what I'll do.
That's the thing.
That's the way it's done.

And then how much of our idea of What To Do
and What To Do Next

is shaped by --
environment
fortune
education
chance
love
interests
someone else's plan for you
...lack of other options.

Thought came to my mind, Gee, would my Life be better if I had Not made
A Particular Choice - ? If I had -- gone a different way, in one department?

And the answer is -- not really, because with One Choice, I did not turn down ten other choices which I now think might have been better.

No. Not ten other choices, not even one.

Sometimes a Choice which turns out to be someone using you and ultimately hurting you (because that's what they do -- it's not even personal, not about Me)
is not something you could have easily and smoothly (or even with lots of effort) substituted a different choice for --

it's for lack of better options.

I used to automatically believe that we all have lots of options.
(That's an American thing.)
It's a deeply-held belief, with me, and so it's not easily parted with, but--
I'm having to see things from different angles now.

Interesting.

The wiser I get, the older I get --
Ha ha!
(It's probably supposed to be the other way around.)

-30-

1 comment:

  1. The farther one travels
    The less one knows.

    Great site!

    All the best,

    Tom Degan
    http://www.tomdegan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete